Kraftouch 2012 Crazy Train Ride

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Basketry Botanica "Star of the Day"



Name: Carole
Company: Basketry Botanica
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Featured Product: Star Basket- Hang it up or Sew it down
Description: You can hang this sweet little basket by it's star or set it on a table, counter or shelf. Natural reed, about 4.5 inches across by5 inches tall with a lovely cast iron star shaped handle. The star will hang nicely from a hook or nail on the wall or just sit on a surface. Accented with rainbow reed, this can also be made with our other space-dyed colors in the accent rows. Star is 3" wide at widest point.Also available - a cat instead of a star, or a cast-iron stove (nice for storing matches).
1) What would you like to be known or recognize as a crafter/artisan?
Not sure about the question- do you mean how would I like to be known or what would I like to be known "for" (as in "for what works would I like to be known") I'm already recognized locally as a teacher, but I guess it would be nice to be recognized for some kind of unique basket design.

2) What motivates or inspire you to do crafting?
Right now my motivation is economical, but that seems kind of like a sad sign of the times. There was a time when I created because I was driven to work with my hands and actually see something come out of the designs in my head. I've always "done" something: knitting, crochet, beadwork, handwoven fabric and sewing. Now, it's pretty much just baskets.

3) Given today as a day you can do whatever you like, how would you spend today?
Ahhh, to do whatever I like? That is rare. Does that mean I wouldn't even have to work on moving or cleaning my studio? I've been weaving in my house, which is horrible, because basketry is very messy. I'm getting ready to move it all into a studio attached to my house. But, if what you mean is whatever I want to do, then I'd probably just want to read all day, hang out in a coffee shop with friends or go to the beach. Or I might spend the day quilting.

4) What are your favorite designs/creations?
Among my own work, I like my Cherokee baskets best. I also love the larger pieces that I can't put on Etsy or ArtFire, because they're too big and/or fragile to ship.

5) Where can they see your crafts and designs?
Right now, it's all on Etsy and Artfire. I also have a new website at basketrybotanica.com. If you have trouble finding it, try again in a few days.

6) What’s the best customer service you can offer? The customer is always right. That can be a pain if I get a customer who takes unfair advantage of me (grrrr), but for the most part, it's the best policy. Good customer service is becoming hard to find, so if you provide that, people will remember when they need more baskets.

7) What’s your hopes and desire for your crafting?
I'd like to keep weaving until I'm too old and too tired. Maybe even that won't stop me. I may give up every other craft, except I think I"ll keep quilting. I still would like to have a floor loom again someday and weave fabric again. There was a time when I produced fabric and loom-shaped garments and sold them in galleries and at art shows. I don't think I can do that kind of production again, but I'd still like to be able to weave one-of-a-kind garments again someday. Can't afford the loom, materials or space to create on such a large scale anymore, but I still haven't stopped thinking about it.

8) Can you share a message to fellow crafters/artisans?
Sharpen your focus. I think I'd be doing a lot better if I'd stopped trying to be so many things much sooner. If you enjoy a lot of craft areas, don't try to spread yourself too thin in your commercial endeavors. If you can use multiple crafting skills in a focussed product line, that's good. One person shouldn't drive herself too crazy trying to produce too many lines at one time.

No comments:

Warming your Heart- Red is in the Air Collection

Collection of Dragonflies

Twisted Collection from Artfire

Facebook Badge

Marilou Urbi-Mendoza's Facebook profile